September is Baby Safety Month so it is a good time to think about the environmental toxins we expose our young children to. EMF radiation emitted from tablets, cell phones, baby monitors and other electronic devices is one such environmental toxin. EMF radiation is not always on the top of a parent’s list of things to worry about, yet is it essential limit its exposure to fetuses as well as babies and young children.
Science is still actively studying the effects of EMF exposure on the womb as well as on babies, but research studies already exist linking it to a number of health risks and learning disabilities later in the child’s life. Below are some suggestions on ways to minimize the dangers of EMF radiation exposure to your children.
Tips to Limit your Baby’s Exposure to EMF Radiation:
- Try not to let your young ones use electronic devices like tablets or cell phones. Young children are more susceptible to the dangers of EMF radiation, because their bodies are still developing and absorb more radiation than adults. If you do allow the use, keep to short periods of time.
- Keep your cell phone off your body while pregnant and away from your baby or toddler. Keeping your cell phone at least one-foot distance from your body as well as your child will decrease the strength of the radiation exposure by as much as 80%. If you must use a cell phone near a stroller or your pocket be sure to pick up the cell phone EMF radiation blocking case.
- Put your phone in airplane mode or turn off completely, when you don’t NEED to receive phone calls or messages.
- Hardwire your home with Ethernet cables instead of using WiFi.
- Purchase a wired baby monitor instead of a wireless model. Not only will this eliminate the RF radiation that would otherwise be transmitted in the baby’s room, it is a sure way to keep your baby off the internet.
- Never set your iPad or laptop in your belly while pregnant. The use of a laptop or tablet/iPad directly has been linked to health effects from prenatal exposure to radiation.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends limiting TV screen time for young children, and this applies to watching shows on tablets. Not only does this limit EMF exposure, but watching TV around bedtime can cause poor sleep habits and irregular sleep schedules. Young children with heavy media use are at risk for delays in language development once they start school.
- When talking to grandma and grandpa on a cell phone or by video, set the device on a table away from the child and out of their hands. Creating distance from the source of the radiation will help limit the strength in exposure to the radiation.
There are so many health risks to consider with our young ones, but limiting exposure to EMF radiation is a very achievable goal. All it takes is a little common sense and mindfulness. We hope the above will help to give some guidance to how to protect your young ones or unborn baby from EMF radiation.